MELBOURNE: Perth is getting ready for a likely influx of heartbroken families desperate to be closer to their lost loved ones who were aboard Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH370 when it went missing more than two weeks ago.
The multi-nation search for debris from the MH370, being coordinated out of RAAF Pearce north of the city, was temporarily halted on Tuesday due to poor weather in the Indian Ocean.
The Australian Associated Press (AAP) said Perth is already preparing for the arrival of family members of the 239 passengers aboard the plane when it went down, with Malaysia Airlines having revealed the Australian government would grant them visas once it was confirmed debris from MH370 had been found.
The airline will then help family members travel to Australia.
Sammy Yap, president of Perth's Chung-Wah Association, said the city's large Chinese network was ready to assist the families physically, emotionally and spiritually.
"We stand ready to help in any way we can," Yap told AAP.
"Perth is a city which will try to ease their pain, and help them come to terms with their loss."
It is believed the Federal and West Australian governments were also discussing establishing a reception centre for bereaved families from China and elsewhere.
Buddhist temples around the city would be on hand to offer spiritual comfort, Yap said.
Perth councillor Lily Chen, the president of the Australian Chinese Women's Federation, said emotional support would also be available.
"We will be able to offer them comfort in any form, it is very important to ease the mental stress, sadness and shock," AAP quoted Chen as saying.
Visa fees are expected to be waived for the families of passengers on the doomed flight, which included 152 Chinese nationals, while Defence Minister David Johnston said the logistical issues surrounding the arrival of grieving families were still being considered.
"The PM is very fixed on assisting Malaysia with the families of the crew and passengers," Johnston said. BERNAMA
